[pp.int.general] where is the manifesto?

Carlos Ayala Vargas aiarakoa at yahoo.es
Sat Jan 3 13:05:00 CET 2009

Reinier Bakels wrote:

> But actually the Swedish PP leadership has become accepted by
> mainstream media as important sources of information, and they are
> often invited in TV programs. They are not idealists (or extremist if
> you considerd it from the negative side)
http://news.cnet.com/Pro-piracy-politician-proffers-his-worldview---page-2/2100-1028_3-6201976-2.html?tag=mncol

"/Copyright laws should apply to only commercial ventures, Falkvinge
argued, and sharing videos, music or "culture" with friends for
noncommercial purposes should be encouraged. The Pirate Party calls for
a *reduction of the copyright terms to five years*//, and an end to
digital rights management schemes. Beyond copyright, the group also
wants to *abolish patents*/"

Reducing commercial rights term to 5 years after the intellectual work
was created, and abolition of patents; two issues feasible in the short
term ... according to you, Reinier? Are you also going to call Rick
/extremist, fundamentalist/, and all that stuff? Or you just keep that
/beautiful/ part of your vocabulary for people like me? Simply, accept
that while we are aware that some of our goals are not feasible without
enough MPs -i.e., in the short term-, they remain as our goals.
>> Of course it's pretty static: I assume that even if we ask for change
>> we may not achieve it; thus, if WTO always count with people who,
>> like you, are so shy to even demand changes, how would it change?
> I live on the eighth floor of an appartment building. When I go out, I
> usually take the elevator, or the stairs when I am in a sportive mood,
> or both elevators are out of order. But I never jump over the balcony.
> Am I a coward? No, I know realistically that it is not sensible to do so.
The unrealistic thing is to compare aiming to change TR/IP/S with
jumping over the balcony of an 8th floor; I would rather compare it with
jumping a 5-meter wall with bare hands and feet. In other words, I don't
find your comparison as valid.
> Realistic options imho should get priority. Idealistic options may be
> mentioned as the ultimate goal, but in view of (always) scarce
> resources, the priorities should be properly set.
First of all, the issues you so slightly dismiss aren't /idealistic/ -I
prefer to define them as unfeasible in the short term, as you always
attempt to give them an utopical view, which is in my viewpoint totally
false- because of what they are, but because of us being likely to have
few MPs in the short term. That's all: the more MPs we have, the more
goals will be achievable in the short term.

I have the feeling that, when you talk about /prioritizing/, you mean
taking /non prioritary/ issues, introducing them into a shelf and then
lock the shelf until /better times/ arrive. One thing is being aware
that some goals are likely to be achieved in the middle & long term, and
a different thing is to give up them in the short term -if it takes much
time to achieve them, it will take even much more if we wait-; at least
in PIRATA aren't willing to give up on anything.
> Having said that, it is worth considering the risks of mentioning
> idealistic options. "Idealistic" by definition means that they are
> unlikely to occur in the foreseable future.
Again, those goals are not unfeasible in the short term because of their
nature, but because of our current status -i.e., because of the amount
of MEPs we can nail in the next EU Election-. They are not /idealistic/,
just not feasible in the short term; I deny your attempts to make them
look like utopical issues, it's a distortion of facts attempted by you.
> So there is actually little on the positive side of the balance. On
> the other hand, there is a substantial, short term risk of being
> disqualified as "extremist" and "unrealistic" if idealistic options
> are emphasized too much.
You seem to me like you were always living and thinking according to
what the lobbies will say; I don't think it is advisable, because even
if you only aim for short term issues, they will dismiss you, they will
slander you, they will defamate you ... and they will do all those thing
having mass media on their side.

Thus, the only thing that worries us in PIRATA is to be honest, to be
sincere, to know what we want and to be aware of how much goals can be
made according to the amount of available MPs in each parliament. We
don't live according to lobbies because, if we do, we would be going to
the SGAE home, kneeling, apologizing and bringing some money to beg
their pardon; however, my knees are too weak to bear a 400-kilometer
kneeling walk, my words about SGAE are nothing to apologize on and my
money is not willingly endorsed to any RMO, so not a chance.

Carlos Ayala

( Aiarakoa )

Partido Pirata National Board's Chairman