[pp.int.general] where is the manifesto?

Reinier Bakels r.bakels at planet.nl
Sun Jan 4 10:14:10 CET 2009

>    One should not loose imagination, but one should not get out of touch
> of
>    reality either.
>
> "Get out of touch with reality" implies insanity.  In effect you are
> calling those of us who seek larger changes insane.

I am sorry if I used the wrong word - English is not my native language.
What I meant simply is: some goals are feasible, others ae difficult, and
still others are impossible. I regularly fall in love with television
actresses - but realistically ...

And on your other notes: sure it makes sense to consider also long-term
goals. But is anything wrong with setting priorities? And I repeat:
advocating really esoteric proposals could work out counter-productive: if
yoou are considered radical, the influence on short-term issues may suffer.

And there are many short-term issues that deserve attention. Such as the
privacy issue. Mainstream politicians still argue that they should employ
all available technology to prevent terrorism, and they still repeat "if you
have nothing to hide, you have nothing to fear" - which is obviously plain
nonsense in view of e.g. all the accidents such as accidental loss of
confidential data, and identity theft.
In order to enforce copyright, the latest trick is "self-regulation"
involving ISPs. That is also helpful to fight child pornography, and we are
all against child pornography, aren't we? But ISPs are not judges
(http://www.ivir.nl/publications/hugenholtz/codes_of_conduct_and_copyright_pragmatism_v_principle.pdf)
and experience shows that blocked pornography sites often have no child
pornography at all. And filtering is simply a form of censorship (for those
who read Dutch:
http://www.ivir.nl/publicaties/dommering/Filteren_is_gewoon_censuur_en_daarmee_basta.pdf)
In patents, presently there is a debate on anti-competitive behaviour with
patents, in particular in the field of standards and interoperability. After
the verdict of the European Court of Justice on Microsoft some respected(!)
lawyers cried that intellectual property is no longer sacrosanct - and I
don't need to explain on this list that this is plain nonsense. In
copyright, the proliferation of levies is frightening, but fortunately(!)
the collection and redistribution of levies in my country became a complete
mess. And it violates som down to earth principles. Like the fundamental
right of the rights owner (author) to decide NOT to use its exploitation
right (open source!) and, on the other hand, to prohibit certain forms of
publication. Furthermore, the redistribution of levies involves decisions of
cultural policy that should not be left to organisations that normally cater
for the very capitalistic interests of the record industry. Should we
perhaps advocate levies on plain paper, which is just as logical as levies
on memory sticks? I like the idea of "reductio ad absurdum", or
"Verelendung", to speak in Marxist terms. And I already mentioned thre
present efforts to explore the true ambit of the "three step test" in TRIPS.
In Europe we don't even have a "fair use" rule.
Typically right-wing politicians are in favour of copyright, patents etc.
But businessmen - typically their suporters - get fed up by all the
copyright "taxes" business have to pay nowadays, e.g. for a radio playing in
an office. And business get fed up by the administrative and legal burden of
patents - reduction of administrative burden happens to be an agreed policy
objective both in national and European politics. Firms tend to put their
"intangible assets" on the balance sheet, which seems logical in "the
information age" - but there is an increasing awareness that it is not the
kind of asset that CFOs like due the their strongly varying value. Some
commetators already talk about a patent bubble that will burst one day -
like the financial bublle last year. Typically, right wing politics favour a
mean and lean government - but copyrights and patents are the the ultimate
epitome of bureaucracy.
Economists know that the shortcomings of "public goods", like information,
can be remedied *to some extent* by (legal nd non-leagal) measures that
allow "internalisation of externalities" - but that does not work either if
the costs of internalisation exceed the benefits The trick? Let someone else
pay! And that is what actually happens if copyright and patent infringement
are prosecuted as crimes.
The abolitionist movement in patents of the late 19th century, which lead to
the full suspension of patents in The Netherlands and Switzerland for
several decades, was not advocated by left-wing activists, but by liberals
(who are conside right-wing in Europe, unlike the US) for mercantilistic
reasons.
Often legal "logic" is used to Can a car manufacturer prevent 3rd parties to
manufacture spare parts? It was amazing to see that the lines of legal logic
exactly paralleled the line between countries that do and countries the do
not have their own car industry ...
And on the levies - again - the proponent did not try to hide that their
purpose was to divert some of the income of the (allegedly) very profitable
electronics industry to the languishing record companies.
IMHO the record industry (and similar outdated distributors) should be the
prime short-term target of PPI. They campaign consistently with various
false rumors - for esentially "rent seeking"
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rent-seeking: manipulating regulators to
increase income without actually contributing to the econmy.

And reducing the copyright term? Well, that would be last on my list. Not
only because of the problems noted above, but also because copyright (at
least in a European perspective) is more than a mere exploitation right: it
also serves a moral purpose - which happens to be the base of e.g. GPL and
CC licencing. More in general, copyright should again become a true authors
right, which helps authors to defend their interests against greedy and
powerful publishers. Copyright contract law should protect authors against
publishers, like labour law protects employees against employers. And it is
currently under political(!) debate, at least in my country.

There is a lot to do.

reinier