[pp.int.general] copyright vs. "droit d'auteur"

Carlos Ayala Vargas aiarakoa at yahoo.es
Wed Jan 7 21:18:26 CET 2009

Reinier Bakels wrote:
> The (true) authors imho deserve support for their immaterial
> (non-economic) rights. Including against the rights owners
Interesting statement. I mean, it's true at least for one thing:
surprisingly, author's are most times not the rightholders. And if
talking about France, Spain and such countries, for RMOs members, even
not the moral rightholders.

What about reinstating authors as author's rights holders? Instead of
labels, instead of RMOs ...
> Copyright is often used *against*  the actual authors.
Furthermore, I think that the /c word/ is used mostly against most
authors -I wouldn't say /actual/, as /the 1.000/ are also authors ...
though just 1.000, a tiny, tiny part of the whole (and however the only
one which is listened to by traditional politicians in Spain)-.
> I am also involved in the software patents struggle, and the opponents
> of software patents often use very weak and questionable human rights
> arguments.
Then encourage them to use strong and almost unquestionable human rights
arguments.
> Well, some of you may say: "Then try harder". But is it helpful to try
> harder if you are in a dead-end street?
Actually, you are assuming that would be a dead-end street, and I then
disagree: as long as human rights are essential, I firmly believe that
defending what is essential for us (not the human rights itself from
being removed, but also from suffering twisted interpretations like the
Franco Frattini's one that you mentioned) can never be a dead-end
street. The street is open, maybe some people simply have not enough
energy to turn the corner ... nobody said it was going to be easy to
face the pro-copyright lobbies.
> Isn't it strange to forward legal arguments that are *never forwarded
> by lawyers*, not even strong critics (who do exist!)
Maybe don't you consider as a lawyer anyone who appeals to human rights
as an argument? :-O

- David Bravo, famous Spanish lawyer specialized in author's rights:
"/that which is at the top currently is the *Sarkozy law*, that which
would allow to disconnect users who share protected works and which,
*once upon a time, was considered by the European Parliament as against
human rights and civil liberties*. However, politicians, who use to sign
with their hands what they erase with their elbow, have buried and
forgotten those adjectives, as tough as accurate/" (talking about
Sarkozy's three-strikes as being against human rights)
http://ecodiario.eleconomista.es/encuentro-digital/David-Bravo-2008-12-18

- Carlos Sanchez Almeida, Spanish lawyer specialized in author's rights:
"*/the author's rights are not property anymore, they are not property
in the Universal Declaration of Human Rights nor in the Spanish
Constitution/* [...] /If we read the Universal Declaration of Human
Rights, the Social Rights part, *we'll find there one article which is
the article 27*, where first it mentions the right to enjoy cultural
works and in the other hand mentions author's rights; both are two
closely related rights, actually acting as scales, they really have to
be fully balanced/" (explicit appeal to UDHR's article 27, and to the
fact that it doesn't talk about the /c word/ nor about the /intellectual
pro...whatever/)
http://piezas.bandaancha.st/docs/cultura_como_derecho_colectivo.html

- Javier de la Cueva, famous Spanish lawyer specialized in author's
rights: "/the State can pass the law and they will have a margin of some
years until the Constitutional Court can find it unconstitutional, *as
happened with Bush and Guantanamo* and as happened here with the own
Corcuera Law/" (parallel between Guantanamo and the Olivennes Agreement ...)
http://www.rtve.es/noticias/20080618/javier-cueva-implantaran-ley-espana-sin-ninguna-duda/93830.shtml

Always making such absolute statements without first being sure of their
accuracy ... unless you discredit their degrees, they are actually
lawyers and they actually use human rights in their arguments. While I
don't always agree with their statements, I actually respect them quite
much, they are lawyers who won lots of cases -some of them very
important, even creating case law- and some of my thoughts I have to
acknowledge that are inspired by them. Again: *you don't know all
lawyers, so you are not able to absolutely state than prestigious
lawyers never forward human rights arguments*.

Carlos Ayala

( Aiarakoa )

Partido Pirata National Board's Chairman