[pp.int.general] "Natural" law

Per von Zweigbergk per.von.zweigbergk at piratpartiet.se
Thu Jan 8 14:01:28 CET 2009

8 jan 2009 kl. 13.55 skrev Reinier Bakels:

>>   I may recall that many politicians support the idea of tough
>> copyright
>>   enforcement in order to learn youngsters again to respect
>> property. "Today
>>   they steal a MP3, tomorrow a bycycle". Property needs to be
>> respected. A
>>   basic human right.
>>
>> Yes, some politicians say this.  And they will continue to repeat
>> such
>> things until enough people reject the idea.
>>
>> Those who support sharing must refute their views of "human rights",
>> not duck the issue.
>
> OK. Please help me to explain this is nonsense. I would prefer non-
> legal arguments to address the issue ("look at it from a different
> angle") rather than trying to counter the argument head-on. Even in
> those legislations where the private copy is allowed, publishing for
> private copying (uploading) is not allowed, and using illegal
> material may be considered fencing. One might argue that the private
> copying exception actually was created because the police could not
> reasonably enforce copyright in private homes, but the counter
> argument is that with the development of p2p conceivably only one
> record is sold for the benefit of the artist, and everybody else
> benefits for free.
> There is of course an answer, but it is not a legal answer - about
> the interpretation of a human right.
> Correct me if I am wrong.
>
> reinier

In this particular issue, it's not a human rights issue - the issue
whether of not imaginary property is property or not.

Some people imagine that copyright is property (that's why I call it
imaginary property). Of course you're not going to counter this
argument by using human rights arguments directly.

By refuting that imaginary property isn't property, the flawed human
rights argument falls by itself.

--
Per von Zweigbergk

VARNING: E-post till och från Sverige, eller som passerar servrar i
Sverige, avlyssnas av Försvarets Radioanstalt, FRA.
WARNING: E-mail to and from Sweden, or via servers in Sweden, is
intercepted by the Swedish National Defense Radio Establishment.