[pp.int.general] "Natural" law (please Reinier answer this mail in the forum)

Carlos Ayala Vargas aiarakoa at yahoo.es
Thu Jan 8 15:53:15 CET 2009

First of all, Reinier: as you aren't willing to privately continue this
debate, maybe are you willing to pay attention to Jorge Machado, Andy
Milner and others and continue in the forum? If you are willing to, just
reply this mail in the forum and send a final mail -regarding these
threads; PPI list can still be used for other topics- with a link to
your reply, to allow everyone else to continue there.

Reinier Bakels wrote:
> Granted, the words "stealing" and "theft" are inappropriate here, but
> copyright (or author's right, for that matter) IS a property right in
> the sense of the ECHR and for instance the German constitution.
If there is no reason to talk about /stealing/ or /theft/ is mainly due
to being here no property to be stolen.
> If you want to contest that, you either have to bluff, or to argue
> against established statutory rules and case law.
>
> Ergo: politics should refrain from legalistic arguments.
Ergo: lawyers should refrain from refraining us from making legal
changes; at most, to advice us about how to do those changes ... though
not to advice us to not doing those changes. That's why I prefer lawyers
like David Bravo and such: they may disagree on concrete issues -e.g.,
Bravo said in an interview about PIRATA that "/*except the name* they
chose, what I find the less advisable option, *their philosophy and
goals are very near to me*/"-

http://www.rebelion.org/noticia.php?id=41350

however, they don't refrain us to achieve our goals, but simply
recommend us the best path to make it. You may argue that you do the
same with that "/don't use human rights arguments/" -you already know
what I think about that advice- ... however, being willing to refrain us
to change laws in order to make commercial rights not being considered
as property rights is a pretty different thing ... well, you may advice
it, and we in PIRATA may thank you for the advice, and also add "/no,
thanks/".

We (at least in PIRATA, and I bet that also in the rest of parties)
don't consider that commercial rights should be regarded as property
anymore -how can you have property rights on something is not a
property? what a huge fiction-; and while I think that Spanish
Constitutional Court wouldn't allow retroactive changes to that status
-thus creating, with the changes we in PPI want to apply, a transitory
period until all intellectual works become under the new author's rights
terms or in public domain-, it doesn't prevents us to make
non-retroactive changes -also allowed by United Nations (with some
restrictions)-.

As long as Spanish law is not same as anglo-saxon (US, British and such)
law, case law is not that relevant, as it becomes of null effect once
statutory law and, if required, Spanish Constitution are changed; thus
the highest challenge in the domestic scope is to get enough seats to
make our desired changes. What happens with the international scope?
Well, that's one of the reasons for PPI to exist: if we aim for simmilar
goals, and we make them in the national scope, when we clash with
barriers like ECHR or WIPO treaties, we will be as strong as several
worldwide countries (USA, Australia, Sweden, Chile, Spain, Germany, etc)
asking the same. And if we keep fighting till the end, we'll gonna make it.

Who said it was going to be made tomorrow? There is a long way to be
walked ... and I think we all want to walk it along.

Carlos Ayala

( Aiarakoa )

Partido Pirata National Board's Chairman