[pp.int.general] copyright vs. "droit d'auteur"

Jouni Snellman jounisnellman at gmail.com
Fri Jan 9 14:22:13 CET 2009

On one hand we have an individual´s right to identify herself or himself
through works of art. What does this have to do with post-modern copyright
or trademark law? Not much I would say. Even trade secrets are included in
WIPO´s definition of intellectual property. If I work for a company which
pollutes the environment and I tell someone about it, I can be accused of
violating the company´s intellectual property rights as defined by WIPO.

Today´s "intellectual property rights" are not there to protect individuals
or even tribes. Instead, they are part of a monopoly system which still
enables us to treat "the rest of the world" as a colony.