[pp.int.general] copyright vs. "droit d'auteur"

John Nilsson john at milsson.nu
Fri Jan 9 19:35:46 CET 2009

On Thu, Jan 8, 2009 at 10:06 PM, Richard M Stallman <rms at gnu.org> wrote:

> My proposal to the Pirate Party is to require proprietary software
> source code to be put in escrow when the binaries are released.  The
> escrowed source code would then be released in the public domain after
> 5 years.  Rather than making free software an official exception to
> the 5-year copyright rule, we would eliminate the proprietary
> software's unofficial exception.  Either way, the result is fair.  If
> the state ensures that no laws or contracts can block the free use of
> that public domain code once available, the result will be a growing
> free software commons.

My suggestion is to look at this as a consumer rights issue. Maybe it could
be argued that a consumer would have the right get the source code of
software that was bought (whith some specification of bought...) when the
compiright term expires.

or

Software will recieve copyright protection for a term of five years, if and
only if, a designated government agency recieves the source code to the
software to be published at the date of term expirery.

BR,
John