[pp.int.general] freedom of speech

Richard M Stallman rms at gnu.org
Sat Jan 10 21:33:20 CET 2009

    Don't get me wrong. I fully support the idea that anything can be said =
    about (the substance of) government policy. Attacking people, and groups =
    of people as such imho is not permissible.

I have often criticized people, and not governments only.
I criticize religion; I even make fun of several religions
in my speeches.

The people I criticize were not able to censor me, but it sounds like
you are in favor of that.  When you warn that "freedom of speech"
has been "hijacked", it really just shows you are in favor of
censorship.

    Also the mistake is often made that social norms are confused with legal =
    norms. The "freedom of speech" basically means that the government =
    should not normally interfere. But there are other norms, social norms =
    of civilisation and decency.

The issue of freedom of speech, and censorship, is an issue of
government interference (or the absence of it).  What opinions other
persons hold about what we say is a different matter.