[pp.int.general] EU election status mid Jan

Anton Tamminen anton.tamminen at piraattipuolue.fi
Wed Jan 14 17:58:40 CET 2009

Andrew Norton wrote:
> Ok, time for another update.
>
> I would like to know
> -which parties are IN and qualified for the election
> -Which parties are not yet qualified for the election that wish to
> participate.

Finland - not yet qualified, pursuing qualification is the current
number one priority.

We are collecting signatures to register as a party before we need to
report our candidates.
At the moment we roughly the have (at least) 2800 signatures out of 5000
needed, that is 56%. We intend to have the rest within one and a half
month to leave time for the slow process of processing our application
so we get registered before the deadline for presenting candidates hits us.

Technical details:
We've been collecting signatures for about 3-4 months and intend to
(somehow) get them all together within one and a half month. If we do
not have them by then, our participation is in jeopardy since it takes
some months for the government officials to process the signatures and
sabotage would be less noticeable - sabotage in the sense some official
might just decide to postpone the process a couple of weeks - past the
electoral deadline. Our registration as a party overall is not
jeopardized, as we would still have more than half a year to collect
signatures.