[pp.int.general] philosophy vs. action

Reinier Bakels r.bakels at pr.unimaas.nl
Sat Jan 17 12:38:53 CET 2009

> Sorry, I read "building" and I thought you were talking about building
> things. No, no one has the right (human or alien) of a software patent.
> Software is an intellectual work which deserves author's rights, because
> software is in its very nature an implementation, not an idea, and patents
> cover ideas.

I am fully aware of the problems with software patents, but this is
incorrect. Copyright law never protects the underlying ideas (for software,
that is even explicitly codified), so they leave something to be protected -
or not to be protected, that is the argument.

How should I display a curve on a digital oscilloscope so that it looks like
a smooth curve while it is actually composed of (rectangular) pixels? That
was the invention of the first EPO software patent case (VICOM, 1986). Is
this really software? Noo, its is basically mathematics, and conceivably it
could be implemented in hard-wired circuitry as well. So should it be banned
as "mathematics"? Many mechanical construction inventions are about
geometrical configurations, i.e. essentially mathematics. Imho the only
solution is to be very critical on the need for patents *in general*.

About language: you oppose terms like "copyright" and "intellectual
property". Often patents are equated to ideas, but that is (also) incorrect.
There are basically three tiers: idea->invention->realisation. Ideas that
have not reached the stage of a true invention are NOT patentable. A true
invention is "enabled", i.e. it can be applied (executed) by any "person
skilled in the art". But atmittedly there is a (strong) tendency to igmore
this basic principle, and to grant patents even for *problem statements*
instead of their solutions!

Finally, did you know that in the US even proposals have been made to patent
"storylines"? That would fill the gap l;eft open by copyright that does not
protect ideas but only expressions. Proponents argue that such patents
benefit cultural diversity as well, because they prevent the same theme to
be covered again and again by books or films, ad nauseam.

Copyright theory talks about an "idea/expression dichotomy". Which is
tricky. There is a tendency to expand the copyright domain into the sphere
of ideas, e.g. television program formats. This is another field where PP
can reach short-term results.

reinier