[pp.int.general] philosophy vs. action

Carlos Ayala Vargas aiarakoa at yahoo.es
Sat Jan 17 13:17:57 CET 2009

Reinier Bakels wrote:
> My statement was actually that the perception of some people that
> inventors naturally deserve patents is not plain nonsense.
When talking about software patentes, it is plain nonsense -as explained
by that mail (don't know who wrote it) replied to by you-.
> Havin said that, I disagree with the perception that software patents
> are essentially different. Firstly, the different nature is a fallacy.
> All patents arer to some extent "abstract". Secondly, similar problems
> usually attributed to software patents are found in other fields as
> well. Even opponents of patentsusually say that patents to have a
> purpose in specific fields, such as pharma.
Er... I'm dazzled and confused ... were you *against* software patents?

But of course software patents would be different because of the
different nature of the object of the patent; and that you call that a
/fallacy/ doesn't make it a fallacy. First of all, because as that mail
replied to by you states, "/with your industrial patent, you patented a
device/", i.e., concrete implementations, while software patents just
patent ideas.

Furthermore, patenting double-click or hyperlinks simply goes against
the patent premise of protection of innovation -as prevents anyone from
developing new technologies-; if a software brand develops a specific
approach to the shopping cart thing, that approach will have author's
rights, and different approaches will have their own author's rights ...
as well as all those approaches will be allowed and will mean
competitiveness and innovation. Now think what would happen if you allow
*and enforce* patenting the software ...

I just don't understand you ...

Carlos Ayala

( Aiarakoa )

Partido Pirata National Board's Chairman