[pp.int.general] philosophy vs. action

Reinier Bakels r.bakels at pr.unimaas.nl
Sat Jan 17 14:43:25 CET 2009

>>> implementation, not an idea, and patents cover ideas.
>> I am fully aware of the problems with software patents, but this is
>> incorrect. Copyright law never protects the underlying ideas (for
>> software, that is even explicitly codified), so they leave something to
>> be protected - or not to be protected, that is the argument.
> Not true, software patents cover ideas instead of true inventions, and
> that's one of PIRATA's argument to oppose software patents -seems not to
> be one of yours-.
Read carefully! Here I am talking about the scope of COPYright. Which is not
all-encompassing. It leaves something unprotected. Next question is whether
that is OK, or needs (patent) protection. I only contend that it is not
illogical, I do not contend that it is undesirable.

But I do believe that there is no reason to make an exception for software
patents. I worked with FFII, and most FFII supporters are IT people. So for
them it is logical to concentrate on software patents. But for PP, imho a
wider perspective is needed (even if perhaps most PP people have an IT
backgroun as well).

Actually some fields of technnology appear to be more susceptible for patent
problems, but definitely not only software.

Again, rather than proposing abolishment of software patents (or e.g.
semiconductor patents, that suffer from similar problems), politicians imho
ought to ask "meta-questions" first: who decides on patent policy? Presently
it is the patent office, a temple of patent believers. Guess what the result
is ...

I just saw that Microsoft again is attacked by the European Commission.
Again, critics will cry that this is a political decision, and intellectual
property (without quotes here) is in danger! What is the PP response?

reinier