[pp.int.general] From 50 to 95 years, next tuesday: how are WE going to react to extension of commercial rights?

Reinier Bakels r.bakels at planet.nl
Tue Jan 20 21:05:16 CET 2009

> My issue, and it's the position i've had since the uk proposed it 2 years
> ago, is that no other old person gets money from work they did years ago,
> be they doctors, police, politicians. They either have to work, or they
> have to have invested in a pension. Why are musicians so special? They had
> their money, that they are poor now makes them no different from every
> other poor elderly person. If they couldn't be bothered to invest in their
> future, why should we do it for them?

I am not sure whether this is not a tenable argument. I you produce a
product for a customer, or render a service to someone, you are paid on a
contract. But if you produce information, it is sold to (potentially) a
large number of customers, over many years. So in a way in makes sense to
allow the money to flow for an extended period of time. Particularly if
works of art only become popular after some time. They could employ artists
and pay them like "ordinary" workers, i.e. once for their service, and then
it is over. But that actually happens today! The problem is that artists are
often forced into unfavourable contract, at the start of their career, when
they still have a weak negotiation power. That is the reason that currently
a special copyright contract law exists in some countries (like DE), and is
discussed in other countries (like NL).

It is a strange paradox: under current law, the (performing) artist is
allowed for an extended period of time to enjoy the benefits of additional
sales: 50 years. And it still is not enough ...

But eventually, the whole 50->95 endeavour is only a thing of the record
companies. They loose ground due to Internet. Any other entrepreneur would
look for different business, if his business gets obsolote. But these
people - like spoilkt children - do to the government and complain: they are
stealing my toy!

reinier

Could an intermediary such as a publisher or a record company be helpful
here? These branches of industry nowadays are very concentrated, so they can
spread the risks.

An alternative is perhaps a construction where a record company or a