[pp.int.general] From 50 to 95 years, not next tuesday: how are WE going to react to extension of commercial rights?

Carlos Ayala Vargas aiarakoa at yahoo.es
Wed Jan 21 02:25:28 CET 2009

Carlos Ayala Vargas wrote:
> It seems that such issue will be voted next tuesday; are we going to
> help Andrew Norton to write a common PPI press release? Regards
Ok, ok, PIRATA first source[1] was wrong, this[2] is the good source.
How do I know it this time? Because I've checked it at the
europarl.europa.eu website[3].

This is how things happened and would may happen -get this ZIP file to
work on[4]-:

- in July 2008 the EC proposed the commercial rights extension on
phonograms and such (currently 50 years after fixation) to 95 years
- in December 2008 the IMCO Commission agreed, with modifications, with
the original EC draft (while keeping the 95 years goal)
- next 12th of February the Legal Affairs Commission is scheduled to
vote a draft to be sent to the plenary
- in March 2009 the plenary would vote and eventually pass the 95-year
nonsense

Well, it's good that we have some more weeks to work on this issue.
However, having more weeks I think doesn't mean relaxing, I mean, if we
get the PPI joint press release *now*, we'll have more time to spread
this to the media, to pressure the MEPs, etc. If we wait until 11th of
February -never mention waiting until March-, well ... there won't be
many things left to be done, nor much room for success ... do you agree?
If you do, let's gonna help Andrew :) Regards,

Carlos Ayala

( Aiarakoa )

Partido Pirata National Board's Chairman

P.S.: I told you! I don't sleep xDDD

P.P.S.: Links:

[1]
http://estaeuropano.info/el-europarlamento-vota-para-extender-el-periodo-de-explotacion-exclusiva-copyright-de-las-obras-musicales