[pp.int.general] iWork Installer w/ Trojan... found after Apple's drop of SN

Glenn Kerbein glenn.kerbein at pirate-party.us
Fri Jan 23 19:14:34 CET 2009

Torrents have always been, and usually are a haven for, malware. Fake
torrents, public trackers, etc. all provide havens for distribution.
Take, for instalnce, the old Storm Botnet which started from spam and
was controlled by a modified P2P application.

The Register is known for being reputable. There's more via ZDnet, which
cites Intego: http://blogs.zdnet.com/security/?p=2418 .

Ray Jenson wrote:
> Okay, folks... just some propaganda from The Register...
>
> http://www.theregister.co.uk/2009/01/22/mac_trojan_attack/
>
> Basically, they're using a fear tactic to get people to use
> legally-purchased software (an old tactic, but it's been a few months
> since they tried it), and Apple's already said they're no longer going
> to require a serial number in order to make the software operational
> anyway... so if anyone's going to copy iWork for the Mac, the
> instructions for doing so are (and I quote from the above article):
> "borrow your coworker's disk".
>
> Interesting, and potentially the mark of a turn of events for the better?

Glenn Kerbein
Pirate Party of the United States
"Burn, Hollywood, Burn"