[pp.int.general] purpose of manifesto

Hans Häggström zzorn at iki.fi
Sat Jan 24 20:49:53 CET 2009

On Sat, Jan 24, 2009 at 8:26 PM, Reinier Bakels <r.bakels at planet.nl> wrote:
>> The entire reason for the name "Pirate Party" is to adopt a negative label
>> "pirate" and turn it into something positive.
>>
> Now we are back on topic (at last!). I still have my doubts whether the
> designation "pirate" has a positive promotional effect. I acknowledge that
> the shock effect may add to the attention value. But otoh it is a negative
> concept ...
> reinier

Well, it's too late to change it now, at least in the countries where
the pirate parties have taken off.  Too much effort has already been
invested in the branding.

Also, the name certainly raises interest, which is the first step to
get people to learn more about the movement.

As the pirate movement builds up more recognition internationally,
calling a party something derived from 'pirate party' will also give
the benefit of some part of the people (that follow international
politics / the pirate movement) understanding what its values and
goals are immediately.

It's also fresh and cool.  Pirate is not just loaded with negative
meanings - just look at how it is used in contemporary fiction for
example (Pirates of the Caribean, Ninjas vs Pirates, there even was
Lego Pirate kits back in my youth, and that was before they started
putting any sad faces on any Lego figures).

I've already mentioned the case of the Finnish Information Society
Party - which had somewhat similar, although more reserved views as
the pirate movement, while also trying to have a broader political
platform, including education and so on.  They failed in getting much
attention or members.

Of course, people are free to start parties with pirate values using
other names in their own countries, Information Age Liberals doesn't
sound so bad either.  But from what I can see the name has been an
asset in the countries where it has been used (which doesn't mean some
other name could be even better in another country of course).

-- Hans Häggström (zzorn)
Pirate Party of Finland