[pp.int.general] purpose of manifesto

Reinier Bakels r.bakels at planet.nl
Tue Jan 27 09:42:04 CET 2009

>    "intellectual property" versus "immaterial rights", he is thinking
>    about "sharing" versus "theft".
>
> There is no need to argue about which one is more harmful.
> Since both of them are harmful, we should reject them both.
>
> I won't say "intellectual property" is more harmful, but the WAY
> it does harm is more subtle and devious.

I am afraid that the reality is that the term "intellectual property" is so
widely used that attempts to avoid it make one's language very cumbersome
and artificial. Most universities, and law firms have an "intellectual
property" department.

A nice exception is perhaps the "Institute of Information Law" of Amsterdam
university (http://www.ivir.nl). They indeed combine different aspects of
"information law": not just copyright law and (oops!) authors law, but also
freedom of speech and telecommunications law (look at the recent EU telecom
package and see how much it is related!).

Incidentally, thy have a job opening for a (full) professor,
http://www.ivir.nl/news/Vacancy_Prof_Information_Law_2009.pdf something for
you, Richard? You easily comply with the requirement of being an
internationally recognised leader in the field, and iirc you have a number
of honorary doctorates (wasn't one of them by professor Tanenbaum in
Amsterdam? But that is the other university in Amsterdam).

reinier
a different