[pp.int.general] Europarliament: About the Medina Report

Glenn Kerbein glenn.kerbein at pirate-party.us
Wed Jan 28 18:15:27 CET 2009

In regards to the extension, I'd like to add my two cents to the PR
release. I'm a terrible writer, so feel free to edit it, and correct for
grammar, etc.

"""
	Copyright exists for a reason; as the Constitution states, it is "to
promote the Progress of Science and useful Arts, by securing for limited
Times to Authors and Inventors the exclusive Right to their respective
Writings and Discoveries". Over the generations, copyright has been used
for suppressing the dissemination of cultural works, innovation, and
overmonopolization of "art".
	1978, a year of infamy for rights, the Copyright Term Extension Act
(CTEA, oft referred to as the "Sonny Bono Act") was enacted. This
extended the terms from not just life of the author, but beyond that to
80 more years. This means that not only is one generation deprived of
cultural works, but two generations are alienated from the public domain.

"""

Carlos Ayala Vargas wrote:
> I don't know whether you are aware of the Medina report on liberticides
> measures on the Internet.
>
> Is PPI going to release a joint press note on that issue and/or the
> /50-to-95/ issue? Regards,

Glenn Kerbein
Pirate Party of the United States
"Burn, Hollywood, Burn"