[pp.int.general] purpose of manifesto

Reinier Bakels r.bakels at planet.nl
Wed Jan 28 21:15:06 CET 2009

> Beyond all that useless circus, if you think that, why then you talk about
> author's rights being /natural/ rights?
Sigh ... Because it needs a label - if it is not utilitarian (= roughly the
US consitution reason). The (alleged) "natural" nature of such rights is
often related to the ideas of the 17th century philosopher John Locke
(http://es.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Locke, in Spanish, for your convenience).
But critics warn that his theories are so vague that one could easily
interpret them in 180 degree different ways.

In a political context, "natural" rights relate to the fact that politicians
basically don't need a reason, they only need a majority! If the argument
"In my opinion, it is 'X'" is not concincing, they say: "It can't be true
that it is not 'X'". Isn't that convincing?? Note that the word 'I' is
eliminated from that sentence, suggesting that it is an objective truth ...
It is the difference between rhetoric and arguments ...
reinier