[pp.int.general] Significance of use of Free and proprietary software in a political context

Per von Zweigbergk per.von.zweigbergk at piratpartiet.se
Sat Jan 31 13:11:35 CET 2009

29 jan 2009 kl. 15.32 skrev Richard M Stallman:

>    I'd like to add, that to my knowledge, all proprietary software
> in use
>    by the Swedish (pp) is properly licensed and in applicable cases
> paid
>    for. Swedish (pp) doesn't condone violation of Imaginary Property
> laws.
>
> I hope that the Swedish PP will have the wisdom not to take ANY single
> unified position about the disparate laws that WIPO lumps together
> under the term "intellectual property".  These laws are more different
> than similar.

Actually, in this particular special case, I believe it is warranted
to lump together the laws. I might have used the term "Imaginary
Property laws", but the sentence would have been just as true if I had
said "Swedish (pp) doesn't condone violation of *any* laws". In other
words, we don't condone anyone using somebody else's trademark without
authorization, we don't condone anyone infringing on a specific
patent, and we don't condone anyone infringing on copyright.

This I think is absolutely necessary for any party that wants to be
taken seriously in a parliamentary setting. As parliamentarians, their
job is to make law. To then encourage others not to follow the same
law would be a double standard.

This isn't really a problem, because in terms of violating laws, we as
a party don't need to encourage people to file share more. This is not
part of our mission. We just want those that already file share not to
be treated as criminals.
--
Per von Zweigbergk

VARNING: E-post till och från Sverige, eller som passerar servrar i
Sverige, avlyssnas av Försvarets Radioanstalt, FRA.
WARNING: E-mail to and from Sweden, or via servers in Sweden, is
intercepted by the Swedish National Defense Radio Establishment.