[pp.int.general] Significance of use of Free and proprietary software in a political context

Per von Zweigbergk per.von.zweigbergk at piratpartiet.se
Sat Jan 31 13:41:05 CET 2009

29 jan 2009 kl. 15.31 skrev Richard M Stallman:

> There are other ways to run Linux just as there are other ways to run
> Bash, other ways to run GNOME, other ways to run GCC, and other ways
> to run GNU Chess.  But why attach special importance to the first of
> these facts?

The reason is that I'm trying to fight the common meme that anything
that uses Linux is automatically GNU/Linux, and for people to stop and
think when they use the term GNU/Linux. The GNU part actually *means*
something, and is not just a prefix that should be tagged on before
any instance of "Linux" to placate RMS. :-)

An interesting case would be some of Linksys router products. I
understand the Free Software Foundation is currently suing Linksys for
persistent GPL violations. While I'm not at all up to the details of
the case, from hacking around with my Linksys WRT54GL, which I bought
specifically for its compatibility with Free Software[*], I have the
distinct impression that the WRT54GL (I can't speak for the rest of
the products) does not actually use any GNU software, but rather uses
Linux, Busybox, and builds a non-GNU system using that.

So I hope that, since the foundation of the GNU GPL is copyright, and
that any case for license violation would be in scope of copyright
law, that one of these three statements are true:

- There is in fact some software being distributed in violation of the
GPL, to which the Free Software Foundation owns the copyright. Maybe
not all their products are like the WRT54GL. The libc might actually
be GNU libc for example, I don't remember. It would make more sense to
use something like uClibc in this application though.
- You have received permission from one of the authors of the GPL-
licensed software distributed by Linksys. This might be somebody on
the Busybox theme or somebody developing Linux.
- The law in whatever jurisdiction you're suing Linksys in (I'm
assuming the US) permits third parties to sue for copyright
infringement. (Which would be quite strange.)

By the way, how much GNU does there have to be in GNU/Linux for it to
be considered a GNU system and merit being called GNU/Linux? Just a
single library?

The reason I've been thinking about this stuff is not just
hypothetical trolling, contrairism and pedantry on my part. I recently
ran into a GPL violation in an embedded system I have at home. I'm not
naming the product here, because I want to give original copyright
holders for some of the components to get a chance to purchase one of
these systems to prove the GPL violation, and the investigation is
still pending. I wasn't able to find a single trace of any GNU
software anywhere on it. That's why the FSF hasn't heard from me on
this issue.

[*] The WRT54GL is actually a re-badged version of a version 4 WRT54G.
The version 5 and later WRT54G used less memory and were therefore
incompatible with any useful modern Linux-based system. It instead
used VXworks. The WRT54GL was manufactured in response to the market
for using custom software on wireless access points.

--
Per von Zweigbergk

VARNING: E-post till och från Sverige, eller som passerar servrar i
Sverige, avlyssnas av Försvarets Radioanstalt, FRA.
WARNING: E-mail to and from Sweden, or via servers in Sweden, is
intercepted by the Swedish National Defense Radio Establishment.