[pp.int.general] TPB in NL

Reinier Bakels r.bakels at planet.nl
Thu Jul 30 23:52:22 CEST 2009

Today TPB was convicted in The Netherlands to make its website inaccessible from NL. This is based on a provision in our authors law that allows and injunction agains providing means for copyright infringement.

TPB was convicted to pay the full cost of the procedure (well over 50K euro). Accodrding o the EU IPRED1 directive a full procedure cost convction is possible, but this amount is outrageous.

TPB did not show up, and the letter they wrote could not be considered due to technicalities of procedural law.

DO WE SYMPATHIZE WITH TPB? I am asking because a Dutch copyright critic argued tonight that TPB is definitely infringing copyright under current law. Advocating a change in the law is one thing, but delibeerately infringing the law before it is changed is something else.

First, I wonder whether TPB really infringes copyright, which is both a matter of technology and law.

Second, I wonder whether TPBs actions continue to help PP. Does TPB have an activist strategy, or are they just slightly anarchist?

reinier