[pp.int.general] cultural flatrate: PP position?

Christian pp at christian-hufgard.de
Tue Jun 2 21:10:47 CEST 2009

Reinier Bakels wrote:
>> None except private usage.
> Perhaps in some of the present proposals - but not necessarily. Why
> wouldn't some sort of "first sale doctrine" (exhaustion) apply? The
> author is paid once, and that should be enough. Furthermore, there is no
> reason to disallow redistribution once distribution is covered by the
> flatrate system.
> If we are forced to accept a flatrate system, is should at least give
> ample rights to consumers.

Sampling is a good point. It should definitivly be allowed. Have you
ever heard of Johannes Kreidler? He is a german avant garde artist
mainly focussing on critizising sampling laws.

Sampling should also be allowed independent of the way to retrieve the art.

"First sale" is a little bit difficult if you have a total "get
everything for free" culture, since it would get really difficult to
establish the first sale. If we promote such a system, we'd had a really
difficult stand towards artists. I prefere promoting artist, that
already share their art instead of forjudging artists.

Christian