[pp.int.general] WARNING

Reinier Bakels r.bakels at planet.nl
Thu Jun 4 23:12:13 CEST 2009

As you may know, the "European" elections in NL were today. It seems that Wilders' "PVV" is very succesful with it populist Euro-critic approach.
While many of us presumably are Euro-critic as well, think twice before considering cooperation with these people.  They are basically an anti-democratic movement: unlike other parties in NL, the PVV has no members. It is led by mr. Wilders himself. While other parties carefully avoid to isolate Wilders, because history has shown that a "cordon sanitaire" can be counter-productive, Wilders and the eight other PVV representatives in our (150 seat) parliament don't discuss, but only make one-way statements, in a very unconstructive manner. They foster the idea that islam is a threat for our society. The PVV is an excellent propaganda machine: many people indeed start believing that islam is a threat, and to some extent, it is a self-fulfilling prophecy: if muslims feel that they are hated, they may radicalise.
While populist leaders often make stupid mistakes, Wilders is very smart. For instance, he fosters the image of being a friend of Israel. While his views on muslims show a striking resemblance with the views on jews in nazi Germany, no one can blame him for being anti-semitist.
Unlike in interbellum Germany, imho there are no major "objective" problems in NL, so Wilders has to develop its own problem. Which is Islam. Other themes are "climate histeria". And - of course - Europe is a grateful topic.
Wilders will be prosecuted in court because he may have violated the limits of freedom of speech. Dutch law contains a provision that was added in the 1930s specifically against nazi propaganda. It is compliant with the ECHR because that allows the freedom of speech to be limited if there is a "pressing need in a democratic society". Of course, this court case has already been marked as a political showcase. Unfortunately, NL does not have a constitutional court. Incidentally, Wilders wants to curtail the freedom of speech of imams.
The big failure of other parties in my analysis is their failure to make "noise". Most of the leaders of the traditional parties are brilliant professors, but lack charisma and, most importantly, the ability to make NOISE. Wilders has simple statements that appeal (many) simple people.
I think here are many parallels with germany in the 1920s.

reinier