[pp.int.general] cultural flatrate: PP position?

Reinier Bakels r.bakels at planet.nl
Sat Jun 6 22:06:51 CEST 2009

Rick, I could not agree more. But there is a practical problem.
You must talk to Volker Grassmuck, a media sociologist from the Berlin
Humboldt University. I met him in the context of a Chaos Computer Club
meeting, not on a shareholder meeting of a major record company ;) Today
again I stumbled upon a webpage with his name elaborating the flatrate
"solution".
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Volker_Grassmuck vgrass at rz.hu-berlin.de

In this forum, I don't have to explain the downsides of a flatrate scheme.
It is a capitulation to record companies and Hollywood.

But what would you respond to the argument that for a small flat fee per
internet attachment, the record companies are prepared to sign a peace
treaty, and the threat of "three strikes" and other draconic measures goes
away, while the rights owners get a "fair" compensation and are no longer
left in the cold?
In less polite language: why not pay a reasonable amount of protection money
to the record mafia? Shouldn't the maffia be allowed to make a decent living
too?
(It is a bit like the British unions who required a fireman on electric
locomotives)