[pp.int.general] cultural flatrate: PP position?

Félix Robles redeadlink at gmail.com
Tue Jun 9 13:59:10 CEST 2009

> The zero marginal cost argument does not help you. The marginal cost of
> copyrighted works always was relatively low (or zero) - but that was
> actually the reason to *introduce* copyright.

I think one of the initial intentions of copyright was forcing publishers to
give some of the profits they earned when they published authors' creations.
Because it might cost about zero to print a book, but book publishers are
going to make a profit.

My opinion is that, in a business, you have to sell something that people
will pay for. And if people don't buy it the problem is not on the people
that get a copy for free, it is in your product. I love AC/DC, I got all of
their albums, but I didn't pay for them, I downloaded them for free. But
Last Friday I went to their concert and paid 70€ for that. I didn't like the
product "CD album", but I liked the product "concert tickets", and had I not
downloaded their whole discography for free I wouldn't have bought the
concert tickets nor a sole CD album.