[pp.int.general] cultural flatrate: PP position?

David Arcos david.arcos at gmail.com
Tue Jun 9 15:50:57 CEST 2009

On Tue, Jun 9, 2009 at 3:36 PM, <pp at christian-hufgard.de> wrote:

> On Tue, Jun 09, 2009 at 03:30:15PM +0200, David Arcos wrote:
> > On Tue, Jun 9, 2009 at 3:24 PM, <pp at christian-hufgard.de> wrote:
> >
> > > And like with levies on other media, a tax on the internet access would
> > > take a lot of wind from the lawyers - at least in germany.
> > >

> > But not in Spain.
>
> Why not?

Because of the Spanish mindset.

In example: last month the government to put a tax in our internet access to
pay for the deficit of the public TV (RTVE)
Most people complained, but I haven't heard any lawyer yet.

> > So if in spain copying everything is legal and no levies have to be
> paied,
> > > what is the problem, you want to solve?
> > >

> > In Spain we have to pay a levy ("SGAE's canon") for blank CDs, DVDs, SD
> > cards, cellphones, libraries, etc, and they want to put yet another levy
> in
> > our ISP access. So we have a real menace here :(
>

> Like I said, if this menace would prevent downloaders from being hunted by
> the police, I'd pay it.

It's unethical, because these money goes to SGAE. Only a minor part of the
artists adhered to SGAE get the money, of course. And, since "everybody is a
creator", there are lots of artists who get nothing from this levy. By the
way, SGAE is supposed to be a non-profit organization...

We could discuss what would happen if the money went to the government, who
redistributed it fairly, and encouraged the creation of new cultural works.
But that's not the case.