[pp.int.general] cultural flatrate: PP position?

Andrew Norton andrew.norton at pirate-party.us
Tue Jun 9 17:45:20 CEST 2009

Reinier Bakels wrote:
>> And like with levies on other media, a tax on the internet access
>> would take a lot of wind from the lawyers - at least in germany.
> I am aware of the Abmahnwahn problem in Germany. Is that why you want
> flatrates? Indeed this Abmahnwahn problem is dreadful.
>
> For the uninitated: German (civil, procedural) law allows attorneys to
> send summons to (e.g.) file shares on their own force - that must be
> paid by the recipient, typically hundred of euro's. Else a court case
> follows which is much more expensive. There are law firms that establish
> "factories" to send Abmahnungen to file sharers. They cooperate with
> technology firms who scan the internet for (alleged) wrongdoers.

Also happens in the UK, but with a slightly different procedure.
Davenport Lyons, and ACS:law are the two big ones in the UK right now.
Amusingly, they've been pursuing people for porn titles, titles that are
actually illegal to sell in the UK, and they've been caught out a few
times. The BBC's even had it's consumer affairs show, WatchDog, get
involved once or twice this year so far, after an elderly couple got a
demand for 600GBP for downloading "Army Fuckers" (based loosely on Max
Mosely's dreams... ALLEGEDLY)

So far, thousands of demands have gone out, only 6 cases have gone to
court - all default judgments. The biggest Barwiska (spelling?) got
dinged for 10,000GBP. There's a good chance, she may have been paid off
to not turn up, so they can have a court 'victory' to batter others
with. This has been going on for 2-3 years now though, with Logistep
providing the tech investigation.

More coverage of it at TorrentFreak, with a lot of discussion over at
slyck's forum. I've a feeling the UK party will be champing at the bit
to combat these kinds of cases.

Andrew