[pp.int.general] pharmaceutical patents 09

Amelia Andersdotter teirdes at gmail.com
Wed Jun 17 21:01:54 CEST 2009

Dear list,

The Pirate Party of Sweden has some political leverage right now due
to the election results. This also means a general interest for our
issues (in particular copyright, but I hope it will spill over on the
patent debate as well).

Therefore I'm considering some kind of patent action. We have a new
commission being put into power (anyone know dates?) this year, and
I'm thinking someone should urge the commission to take a stance
against the possibility for the pharmaceutical industry to prolong
their patent protection term by five additional years.

So the European Commission reportedly criticized the pharmaceutical
industry for using this possibility in a competition encumbering way
last autumn.

http://ec.europa.eu/comm/competition/sectors/pharmaceuticals/inquiry/preliminary_report.pdf

would it be possible to make a political issue out of this, do you
think? urging the new commission to do something about it?

--
Amelia Andersdotter
Lissabon-MEP

+46 738436779