[pp.int.general] (Yet) a new hostile fork of the French PP.

Valentin Villenave v.villenave at gmail.com
Sun Jun 21 21:48:37 CEST 2009

Greetings everybody,

thought I could let you know about our new nemesis.
(Yet) another Pirate Party was recently created in France, by someone
none of us has ever heard of, who has not responded to our attempts to
contact him and who's literally flooding the Web with pointless PRs
(which is annoying but not harmful) and calls for donations (which we
vehemently disagree with, having set our subscription fee to €1 where
this s-o-b asks for €10 or 20...).
Word is, he's also trying to patent the "Parti Pirate" name and
logotype (that's right, the very same logo you guys are using
everywhere in the world). We should have no difficulty proving our
anteriority but we strongly wish we didn't ever have to do so. As one
can understand from his articles, he has nothing but contempt towards
us and our three-years work, and he has enough connections to get full
access to mainstream online medias.

On the "good news" front, our other previous hostile fork (which, at
least, we knew about) has merely become an empty shell as all of its
members have eventually joined us. We had no grudge with them (other
than seeing your domain name stolen is always a somewhat unpleasant
experience), so that's fine. However, this new occurrence is really
not a pleasant one, and we have really no ways of fighting back (since
he's using paypal/facebook/many proprietary tools which we want to
have nothing to do with). Nor the will to fight back, actually; there
are so many interesting things happening out there at the moment that
we'd really like to build things instead of having to fight for
survival.

Well, life sucks. Thanks for your attention guys.

Regards,
Valentin