[pp.int.general] Pirate Party joins green group in Strasbourg

Mårten Fjällström marten.fjallstrom at piratpartiet.se
Sat Jun 27 22:11:27 CEST 2009

On Thu, 25 Jun 2009 20:09:40 +0200, Rodrigo Pereira <rodripe at gmail.com>
wrote:

> But what is the opinion of voters in piratpartiet?

The news appear to have been well received over all. Strong negative
reactions comes mainly from members of parties in ALDE and GUE/NGL that
would have wished for PPSE to join their group instead.

> The voters aproved such alliances?
> What is written in the piratpartiet program about political alliances?

PPSE was very clear in the campaign that it would join a political group
based on post-election discussions with the groups, and that it would
follow that groups recomendations when it comes to voting on issues
outside of the PPSE platform. Greens were frequently mentioned as a likely
group, also mentioned was ALDE and to a lesser extent GUE/NGL.

This caused quite a bit of debate in the media so it can safely be assumed
to have been known by the voters, and those voting PPSE can be seen as
approving that strategy.

Piratpartiet has a general approach of being willing to deal support in
non-core issues for support in core issues, in fact this is the central
piece in our tip-of-the-scales strategy for obtaining influence in our
national parliament.

> What are the conditions?
Christian Engström joins the group but the PPSE does not join the Green
european party.
The Green group will finance a new assistant working on information
policy, Christian Engström will be given much influence on the appointment
of this assistant.
Christian Engström will get a seat on a relevant committe within the EP,
exactly which one will be decided in mutual discussion within the group,
but LIBE looks like a likely bet.

That Christian Engström will in general follow the group recomendation
when it comes to voting on issues outside PPSEs platform, has been clearly
communicated in discussions with the various groups.

Regards
Mårten Fjällström
Party secreterary PPSE