[pp.int.general] International day of Sharing - September 12

Joonas Mäkinen joonasd6 at gmail.com
Mon Jun 29 09:59:50 CEST 2009

Sadly, though, many people and especially people working in the business
take it that they already know what they are talking about. No matter how
good you are at history, it doesn't matter if people do not listen to you
and believe you.

Fortunately it seems that the copyright holders are fighting against this so
hard that people actually start seeing through it. Also we have seen once in
a while some prominent members of the holders to come out and criticise
their own ways. They'll see... one day...

2009/6/29 Mikko Särelä <msarela at cc.hut.fi>

> On Sun, 28 Jun 2009, Richard Stallman wrote:
> >     > currently we have a legislatory nightmare where copyright, patent
> >     > rights or related intellectual property rights can never be
> >     > weakened, only strengthened. What we need to do is break that
> >     > hegemony.
> >
> > To succeed in reducing copyright power, we need to teach people it is a
> > mistake to refer to copyright as "intellectual property."  See
> > http://www.gnu.org/philosophy/not-ipr.html. That term implies that
> > copyright is a natural right that must never be interfered with.
>
> You are quite right. It is interesting to see people's reactions when they
> realize that copyright is a leftover government granted monopoly from the
> mercantilist times.
>
> --
> Mikko Särelä
> "It is through exchange that difference becomes a blessing, not a
> curse", Jonathan Sacks, Chief Rabbi of Great Britain

Joonas "JoonasD6" Mäkinen
Varapuheenjohtaja, viceordförande
Piraattinuoret - Piratungdom

Faculty of Science