[pp.int.general] International day of Sharing - September 12

Richard Stallman rms at gnu.org
Mon Jun 29 16:04:08 CEST 2009

    1. "Natural law" is generally perceived by lawyers as a very weak =
    proposition from a methodological perspective. It means: it is naturally =
    so - don't ask any further questions - or in less polite terms: shut up!

These decisions are political rather than legal, which means they are
not made directly by lawyers.  Many politicians are lawyers, but few
of them practiced copyright law.  So even if philosophically inclined
lawyers have a basis to resist this influence, its influence is very
strong on politicians and the public.

    Scholars soon acknowledged that this was incorrect. If you want =
    to cite an authoritative source: the great German scholar Joseph Kohler =
    (1849-1919) proposed "immaterial goods rights" =
    (Immaterialg=C3=BCterrechte in German)

I don't know German, but I have a vague (perhaps mistaken) feeling
that "recht" does not correspond perfectly to the English word
"right".  Can it also mean "law" or "justice"?  Perhaps there is a better
way to translate his term, one which would avoid the implication of
"rights" in English.