[pp.int.general] International day of Sharing - September 12

Richard Stallman rms at gnu.org
Mon Jun 29 20:48:48 CEST 2009

    In German (and Dutch, my native language) the same word "recht" is used both
    for law (=justice) and right. So we distinguish rights as "subjective
    rights" = rights belonging to someone. This is basic undergratuate law
    terminology, without any prejudice to the legitimacy of rights. The essence
    of professor Kohlers statement was a denial of the "intellectual property"
    concept - don't we agree on that?

Yes, but the question I am raising is, what does his term really mean?

I suggest translating his term as "immaterial goods laws" rather than
"immaterial goods rights".  To say that copyright is a _law_ is simple fact.
To call it a "right" starts to express an opinion about that fact,
which is why I usually call it a "restriction" instead.

(I still think it is a mistake to generalize about these laws,
no matter what term one uses for the generalization.)