[pp.int.general] Protest certain musicians?

Rick Falkvinge (Piratpartiet) rick at piratpartiet.se
Sun Nov 1 10:26:28 CET 2009

>> This is not necessarily a bad thing. With the advent of electric
>> refrigerators, professionally made ice was no longer affordable, since
>> amateurs could make ice in their refrigerators.
>>

> It's just a bad thing for those who want to have professional music and cannot afford it any longer. Oh, and of course for those, who like to copy it withoud paying - since they have nothing more to copy.

You're missing my point. You're assigning a quality marker to whether
something was made in a professional or amateur environment, a quality
correlation that isn't there anymore -- just as is the case with ice.

Today, how a musician makes a living has little or no correlation to the
perceived value of their music. There is no way when listening to music
to tell what the composer's day job is.

Therefore, the separation into "professionally made" and "amateur made"
is articifial and irrelevant at best, and deceiving at worst.
Professionally made ice was no better than amateur made ice.

As for "nothing will get created if the writers/composers/performers
can't maintain yesterday's business model", which you are also implying:
that argument was debunked thorougly with the advent of public libraries
in 1850 (when the publising industry cried out loud that nothing would
be written ever again if people could read books without buying them first).

Again, the incentivizing part of copyright has been proven time and
again to simply not exist.