[pp.int.general] Protest certain musicians?

Boris Turovskiy tourovski at gmail.com
Sun Nov 1 12:35:31 CET 2009

Christian Hufgard wrote:
> Well, I think there is definitivy a difference between a bunch of
> amateurs playing music two hours a weekend and some professionals doing
> so 8/5. Take sportsman. A professional soccer player can definitly play
> better soccer than an amateur.

I think we started with the recording technology rather than with the
musical skills. The time and effort spent on learning how to play an
instrument is the private expenditure of the musicians, whether in the
current model or in any free music model (you can't come up to a label
and say 'hey, i can't play an instrument, so please invest in my
education so i can record an album for your label 10 years from now').
And a recording in sufficient quality - at least for a band at the
beginning of their career - can be done with significantly less
investment than even the 15000€ named above.

> Partially right. But there is a difference in the frequence of the
> output. Only very few amateur bands manage to release a new album a
> year. If you want bands to be able to do so, you have to get them the
> money to be able so.

The frequence of album releases is at best unrelated to quality and at
worst inversely related to it. Take popular fiction where authors
(exactly because they are "professionals" who live from their writing)
start churning out three novels a year, with most of these novels being
pretty much unreadable.

> Is that really, what comes out from my mails? Then why do I propagate
> the use of free arts? I think using them is a pretty easier way than
> fighting against lobbies that want to keep an outdated business model -
> and reduces the danger of beeing punished for breaking the law...

But fighting the lobbies in order to get laws changed is exactly why the
Pirate Parties formed themselves as political parties. Promotion of free
content can be achieved without all that fuss.
To bring an analogy: why do we fight against online surveillance and
preemptive data storage laws in Germany, when we could just work on and
promote encryption techniques that allow users to circumvent the
surveillance?

Best regards,
Boris