[pp.int.general] 3-step usage rights / forced licensing model

Bernhard Schillo b.schillo at gmx.net
Tue Nov 3 12:39:21 CET 2009

Pasi Palmulehto schrieb:
> 20y - At this point the work has got enough protection for making some
> profit for the creator, or if it hasn't...it probably never will. The
> work will move into public domain (in Finland PD would still retain some
> "moral rights", most importantly one close to CC-by, or the right to be
> recognized as the original creator, which I think is good.)
>
> Teorically, the last step could come to effect after longer time since
> there are no more limits for who can use whose art, but personally I
> think there is no need for more than 20 years.

i like the idea very much. But i think, the last step sould last for the
whole lifetime of the author (plus some years after releasing).

The reason for my opinion is: Especially when we are talking about
music, there are some steps of creating and releasing. When you compose
a song and write a text then you do it usually at home with the piano or
a guitar. When you did this the song in the main is finished. But there
are different possibilitys to interpret the song. You can do it just
with the acoustic guitar, you can have a small band, you can have a big
band, you can have a classical orchestra, you can use the computer to
simulate "classic" instruments or to do it in a "techno"-way. To get the
most out of the song it's advantageous to have money and to pay good
musicians and a good studio, even if it became cheaper and easier
nowadays or if you are pretty good on your acoustic guitar.

So it may be that you record the song and even if it's really good you
don't have success because it's recorded too "cheap". Not to speak of
the difficulties to make it known through the channels of distribution
which are ruled by the media industry. Or the audience, who prefers to
listen to songs by persons who already are famous. Even today
permanently there are songs from the 60s dug by producers, which were
not very famous at their time but now are pimped up and are pretty
successful. I think, that disproves the argument "[within 20 years]
making some profit for the creator, or if it hasn't...it probably never
will"

Regards
Bernhard Schillo