[pp.int.general] 3-step usage rights / forced licensing model

np np at planetarc.de
Tue Nov 3 14:52:28 CET 2009

Christian Hufgard wrote:
> Hey, that would be great for those, who want to use Microsoft Windows
> without paying... Since it is closed source software, it would not be
> protected by any rights. Companies could save a lot of money this way...
> :)

Where is the problem? It's five year old software.

Over the last years the product cycle has increased for hard- and
software. We see new versions of software pop-up faster and faster.

As a company you could decide if you save a few bucks, work with
outdated drivers, incompatibilities and bugs or if you buy a new version
and safe yourself the hassle.

Also there is already the trend for software to be coupled with
services. Time limited copyright does not apply to services, only the
software itself, so software-houses have a way to get around the time
limitation if they innovate and convince their customers that the new
release has benefits over the "now free for commercial use"-version.

Imho such a change would drive innovation.

Cheers,
    Nils