[pp.int.general] 3-step usage rights / forced licensing model

Pasi Palmulehto scoffer at kofeiini.riippuvuus.net
Tue Nov 3 14:58:47 CET 2009

> >> And the could be legally hacked.
> >
> > I don't really know would that make any difference compared to this day.
>
> Well... If you do something illegal, you can be punished for doing so.

True, though it's almost impossible to cache ones.

> > Maybe closed source could have that same 5 years commercial protection,
> > it just wouldn't continue with 20 years of compensation protection
> > without source codes. And not just software, also music, movies and
> > other information that isn't put on databank. What are pros and cons and
> > are there really a lot of systems for who opening the source code is not
> > acceptable?
>
> I am working as a software developer and my company will not release any
> sourcecode as open source. Basically, because there are a lot of other
> companies that are willing to serve the same customer. And if the had our
> source code, that would be much easier.

This is a good point. I don't see a problem if closed source software
and every other information not in the databank would have the basic 5
years commercial protection...they just simply wouldn't get the extra
compensation protection. This also is right on the same line with most
(all?) pirate parties goals.

--
Pasi "Scoffa" Palmulehto
Leader of Finnish Pirate Party