[pp.int.general] 3-step usage rights / forced licensing model

Pasi Palmulehto scoffer at kofeiini.riippuvuus.net
Tue Nov 3 15:11:03 CET 2009

On Tue, 2009-11-03 at 15:01 +0100, Christian Hufgard wrote:
> >> day.
> >> Well... If you do something illegal, you can be punished for doing so.
> >
> > True, though it's almost impossible to cache ones.
>
> The BSA believes in bounties... And they seem to be pretty successfull. :)

I think they have give up on granting bounties..at least so I've heard
about Finland. Still most of small (1-2 person) companies I know, use
pirate windows. Gladly I've lately installed linux for most of them.

> >> protection,
> >> and
> >> not
> >>
> >> I am working as a software developer and my company will not release any
> >> sourcecode as open source. Basically, because there are a lot of other
> >> companies that are willing to serve the same customer. And if the had
> >> our
> >> source code, that would be much easier.
> >
> > This is a good point. I don't see a problem if closed source software
> > and every other information not in the databank would have the basic 5
> > years commercial protection...they just simply wouldn't get the extra
> > compensation protection. This also is right on the same line with most
> > (all?) pirate parties goals.
>
> That's exactly the model I prefere. The more freedoms you grant, the more
> protection you receive.

This sounds good to me too unless someone has a heavy objection with
good reasoning. This also helps on another thing. I was wondering how to
deal foreign works that are not on databank and has no representative
who would add them.

In matter of fact, after this addition, functionality of databank would
pretty much go the same line what RMS suggested, correct?

--
Pasi "Scoffa" Palmulehto
Leader of Finnish Pirate Party