[pp.int.general] 3-step usage rights / forced licensing model

Andrew Norton ktetch at gmail.com
Tue Nov 3 15:23:18 CET 2009

On Tue, Nov 3, 2009 at 5:59 AM, Nicolas Sahlqvist <nicco77 at gmail.com> wrote:
> I like the idea, but leaning on Rick's opinion about a 5 year copyright
> period in total:
> "The stance of the Pirate Party is that copyrights should last for 5-10
> years, and they only restrict what you can buy and sell."
> http://www.atomicboysoftware.com/blog/2009/05/rick-falkvinge-copyright-regime-vs-civil-liberties/

Personally, iI've never liked 5 years, it's short enough that lawyers
negotiations (which can already last 1.5-2 years) can just be
extended, and they get to the point where they say 'no, sorry'.
Myself, I favour a 14+14 term. 14 automatic, with an expensive option
to register for one 14 year extension, with a national government-run
database. Or maybe then a 5+9+14. The 5 automatic, but with a
lower-cost 9 year extension, and a longer 14. It gives creators long
enough to deal with lawyers without the timebomb of expiry it also
deals with the problems of restrictions on works deemed by their
owners to be non-commercially viable, but later bought up in a job
lot, and resurrected. It deals with the main issues our critics have,
and should be a good first step, as it deals with the reduction we're
aiming for. The minority of works deemed non-commercially viable are
freed, the other works have the rightsholders clearly identified
(which can be a problem right now), the overall term is shorter (under
that proposal, all works from 1982 would be PD no matter what as of
the end of next month). To me, it addresses EVERY argument our
opposition can make with reasonable answers and positions, without any
need to get preachy, philosophical, theoretical or pseudo-religious,
which will be the key to success - dealing with the common person in
terms they can understand.