[pp.int.general] One good, one bad

Nicolas Sahlqvist nicco77 at gmail.com
Wed Nov 4 10:09:55 CET 2009

On Wed, Nov 4, 2009 at 6:56 AM, Christian Hufgard
<pp at christian-hufgard.de>wrote:

> Ed Galligan wrote:
> > I'd like to chime in on this debate, not to comment on Lisbon as I feel
> the
> > time for such debate is sadly behind us, but purely to congratulate
> Amelia
> > on an enormous achievement. Best of luck in Strasbourg whenever you take
> > your seat.

Indeed, sadly it is behind us.

> Am I the only one who thinks it is pretty absurd, that the results of an
> election are changed in such a way month after the election? The EU
> parliament is loosing even more of its little liability. Isn't one of
> the most important facts in a democracy, that every vote is of the same
> value?
>

> Sweden, 230k Votes -> 1 MEP. Some monther later -> 2 MEP.

Yes, it is absurd.

> Germany: 230k Votes -> 0 MEP.

This comparison makes no sense, Sweden have +9.2 million people and 45.53%
of the population voted while Germany got +82 million people and 43.3% of
the population voted so based on it makes perfect sense that Sweden needed
less voters to get a mandate in the European parliament then Germany.

http://www.europarl.europa.eu/parliament/archive/elections2009/en/turnout_en.html
http://www.europarl.europa.eu/parliament/archive/elections2009/en/sweden_en.html
http://www.europarl.europa.eu/parliament/archive/elections2009/en/germany_en.html
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sweden