[pp.int.general] Artificial Scarcity

Reinier Bakels r.bakels at planet.nl
Fri Nov 6 22:32:20 CET 2009

  This is very much a debate on abuse of economic concepts that are often misunderstood. (Sure everybody on this list is so smart that they do not make the mistakes that even people do who call themselves "economists" , you know, those people who were unable to predict the present economic crisis).

  If you want to play the game of using terms like "artificial scarcity", "deadweight loss", and "market failure", you may add that the traditional idea of the "tragedy of the commons" has turned into a "tragedy of the ANTIcommons".

  (The former theory is old: it says that a common good is neglected if there is no (legal) owner. The latter theory says that to much ownership is disastrous for welfare (and was coined in the late 1990s by Michael Heller).

  Yet another piece of kretology (sorry, I don't know the English translation):
  Property rights on public goods like information commonly lead to a market failure that can be remedied by legal means that allow "internalisation of externalities". Incidentally, this is a strong example of an attempt to make economics look like a serious science by using complicated words: the idea is that you won't invest if you expect little benefit for yourself, even if other people would benefit, unless (legal) provision is made to reroute the benefit of others to yourself. (Perhaps negative externalities are more commonly known: you won't stop polluting if you don't have to pay for the damage (as an economic agent without a conscience)).
  "Internalisation enabling" is a typical argument for copyright. The missing link is that the scheme does not work if the internalisation cost is higher than its potenbtial yield. Unless that cost is borne by the taxpayer = yet another externality = yet another market failure = what the record companies want.

  It is a bad, bad world. Goodnight.

  reinier