[pp.int.general] Translation of the Pirate Manifesto

Reinier Bakels r.bakels at planet.nl
Mon Nov 9 19:57:33 CET 2009

As far as I know, the manifesto "C" you refer to is pretty much the work of
a single man, last year, who qarreled with everybody else. (The same applies
for the alternatives A and B). During a meeting in Januari this year in
Helsinki it became clear that PP leaders like Rick Falckvinge and Chritian
Engström are not interested in this type of manifesto.

The problem with all the draft texts is that they heavily rely on human
rights. We all support human rights, but the problem is that they are not
suited for political purposes. Most human rights can be interpreted in
multiple ways, including in ways that are totally opposite to the typical
Pirate Party values. Of course, you can argue that such interpretations are
wrong. But it is easier to skip such arguments and address the relevant
issues directly.

For illustration, let me give two examples:
(1) It is said that massive surveillance (with camera's, on the Internet,
everywhere) fulfills the human right to warrant everybody's safety, and the
protection of property.
(2) UN Charter says that the rights of authors and inventors deserve due
protection - string copyright and patent law?
(3) Far right wing politicians say awkward things about entire population
groups - and claim freedom of speech/

None of these is complete nonsense! PP only makes a different tradeoff.
Again: it is more effective to start with that tradeoff right away, and
avoid the "human rights" argument.

reinier