[pp.int.general] Translation of the Pirate Manifesto

Félix Robles redeadlink at gmail.com
Wed Nov 11 10:48:00 CET 2009

On Wed, Nov 11, 2009 at 8:40 AM, Reinier Bakels <r.bakels at planet.nl> wrote:

> I am becoming a bit confused: is there actually a document, a sentence,
>> anything, that is (more-or-less) "official" and on what (almost) all the
>> Pirate Parties agree?
>>

> No, afaik there is not. By the end of 2008, the manifesto "A-B-C" project
> was abandoned by most contributors after heavy flame wars, and in the end is
> really was the project of a single man, Carlos Ayala. During the Helsinki
> meeting early this year, it was *not* discussed at all. Carlos was
> disappointed, but he was pretty alone.
>
> The Uppsala document (composed during the summer 2008 meeting) wasn't so
> much intended as *the* PP "Manifesto", but more the by-product of a (very
> useful) workshop, a mental exercise to better understand PP goals and
> strategies.

The Uppsala document was written by the Swedish, alone, AFAIK.

> I wrote a one page "PPI Principles" document for the Helsinki meeting (see
> attachment), more to provide an alternative than because I believe(d) that a
> manifesto was (or is) a priority. We spent little time on it in the meeting,
> fortunately. *The purpose of a political party is to gain votes*, and a
> "philosophical" documents like a manifesto should be judged from that
> perspective: does it help to get more votes? As you know, *actually
> deceptively few voters read party programs.*

The purpose of any political party is or should be to achieve their
political goals in order to enhace society. In a democracy, this is possible
if people vote them.

If our purpose as political parties was just to gain votes, no social or
copyright issue would matter us at all.

The purpose of a political party is/should be to enhace society, gaining
votes is just the means.