[pp.int.general] International Pirates Day

Brian McNeil brian.mcneil at wikinewsie.org
Thu Nov 12 19:00:43 CET 2009

On Thu, 2009-11-12 at 23:06 +0900, I.K. wrote:
> During our Russian Pirates Day we were distributing Ubuntu CDs among
> other things, and also legally free music/movies and so on...The idea
> was to get actively involved in sharing and show how good it is to
> other people...
> But of course all of that just accompanied normal
> rallies/demonstrations (although we've been prohibited to have mass
> actions in many cases).
>
> Anyway, the details of what to do exactly may be left for the local
> parties to decide on their own. First and foremost, we need to decide
> on when will we do it and how will we coordinate it.

Promoting a GNU/Linux distribution like Ubuntu might not be everyone's
idea of a best approach. But, a few tweaks and you could have a CD to
try the system with *and* backup or restore your Windows install. That
is a problem for a lot of people; most manufacturers will 'help' you
recover by wiping all your data. All-too-often I've seen a system offer
to backup as soon as you've booted and selected language &c. That's
*one* offer to backup.

If you wanted to do an "Ubuntu Pirate" it doesn't have to be about
filesharing; the *standard* Ubuntu distribution already comes with a
Bittorrent client.

--
Brian McNeil <brian.mcneil at wikinewsie.org>
http://en.wikinews.org/wiki/Brian_McNeil