[pp.int.general] Big Brother in NL?

Richard Stallman rms at gnu.org
Tue Nov 17 08:56:17 CET 2009

    I want to ask if a pirate in the Netherlands can tell me(us) more about
    a hm... "green" project there to start kilometer-taxation of cars with a
    GPS onboard unit in every car.

The old way of charging drivers according to how far they travel is
the gas tax.  It works, but it has what some might consider a problem:
different drivers pay different amounts for the same distance.  For
instance, an inefficient car has to pay more than an efficient one.

Kilometer taxation eliminates these anomalies, so that the minivan and
the small hybrid car pay the same amount.  After all, why penalize
people for burning petroleum?