[pp.int.general] Big Brother in NL?

Andrew Norton ktetch at gmail.com
Sat Nov 21 03:42:10 CET 2009

On Fri, Nov 20, 2009 at 7:02 PM, Richard Stallman <rms at gnu.org> wrote:
>    Pirates in NL should be less agressive in (re)claiming privacy, because if
>    they object to road princing systems because of privacy concerns, such
>    systems will nog be implemened, and people will drive more, causing more CO2
>    exhaust, causing global warming, causing the sea level to rise!
>
> It is easy to solve both problems together.  Instead of road-pricing,
> increase the gas tax.

which has the knock-on effect of raising public transport costs. And
makes unprofitable routes/services (such as late night/rural) routes
and driving (ho ho!) people back towards cars.It may even price people
out of using taxis, which could mean more drunk-drivers as a side
effect.

We (me and the wife) do so many miles a year because we have no other
choice. I have a bike here, for when I'm home alone during the day,
but I'm actually scared to use it (all the roads are 55mph (92kph)
roads, a lane in each direction, and a lot of 40-ton lorries use
them.) So car's the only option. Really annoying thing is the train
tracks that cross our road, go straight north to where the wife works
(Athens, Ga. home of University of Georgia) As well as splits off to
the west for Atlanta. To the South is Macon (and our main county town)
If we could take a train, we would, it'd be a lot cheaper, and in many
cases easier.

Basically, before you can start pricing people off the roads, you HAVE
to have suitable alternatives for them to use. In a lot of places
there aren't any.

Andrew