[pp.int.general] Big Brother in NL?

Stephane Bakhos nuitari at pirateparty.ca
Mon Nov 23 03:31:01 CET 2009

>> Some people believe that this is just a tax increase in disguise,
>> intended to make car owners (user) even more than today (cars are
>> already a cashcow for tax). But there is also an increasing prinvacy
>> awareness.
> Tax issues is something we have to be really careful about in the pirate
> parties. We risk going into the old right/left political discourse, and
> that could hurt us because we attract people coming from both the right
> and left of the old political system. With members from both left and
> right in the old system we risk internal conflicts if we go into the
> taxation discussion, unless we have good arguments that can be defended
> from both sides in the old political system.

What I really dislike is when government hides taxes behind a bunch of
huggy-feely nonsense and lies.

New cars are much more fuel efficient then before, and people get to drive
more on the same % of fuel tax. This creates a revenue shortfall for the
government and we feel that the best way to rectify it is to charge per km
driven instead of fuel used.

At least it would make for some more transparent governing.