[pp.int.general] Pirate Party UK Critism

Erika Nilsson narnigrin at gmail.com
Fri Oct 2 18:35:38 CEST 2009

I have to say I agree with the blogger's general point, although I remember
that there were some very reasonable arguments for not making membership in
the PPUK free, for example (running a party in the UK costs crazy amounts of
money, etc). Supporting the Obscene Publications Act is, imo, as far as you
can possibly get from the freedom of speech ethos of the Pirate movement
(and the arguments for doing so seem to be generally along the lines of
"let's not help load the cannon that's going to be pointed at us" - ie
"we're not sure this is what we believe but we don't really dare to say
otherwise"). As for keeping policy discussion closed to non-members, I wrote
a pretty long comment to the blog post, but in short I would advocate
opening up *discussion* to all forum members while closing actual *voting*
on policy decisions to paying members.

In contrast to the blogger, I don't hope that someone will form a "PPUK #2"
- that would just be counter-productive and harmful to both parties, and to
the voters - but I do hope that the PPUK will take these problems seriously,
and not just start chanting that "if we open discussion up, our forum will
turn into 4chan".

Erika Nilsson